telling people where to go...

One of my favorite memories, began with heartbreak.
When I came home from school, to permanently stay here and begin a new journey (though that information was still privy to me) I was also in the midst of a bizarre long-distance relationship.

Anyway, when this relationship reached it's breaking point, I was spending the night with family friends- helping them out- and it was late at night. This was during the "Kelly-WILL-NOT-drive" fiasco of '08 (thanks OCD, you're a pal) so I texted my Mom and told her "it's over"

My entire family packed into the car and came to get me. We stopped at Sonic and all got drinks. We came home silently and all laid on my bed blasting Duffy's "delayed devotion" and singing at the tops of our lungs. As the tune comes to a close she sings "hear it in this song, you can gooooooo to hell". 
Do I condone this language, no- not really.

But was it perfect for the moment, sung in harmony by my sweet family of 4? Yes.

And I am confident that were this to happen again, today- my family would choose the same route. Only my Dad might suggest a Black Eyed pea's song- because he's obsessed with them and in his eyes everything in life can somehow relate to will.i.am. 

And so, "my mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style" - Maya Angelou

Thanks family, for helping me achieve that humorous stylin'. You guys are rockin' it. 


4 comments:

  1. You have a great family. One of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much!! And I love that memory. We are ALWAYS here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that maya quote is one of my all time faves!! and i just love those kinds of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this, every word. you have such a rockstar family, and i totes think that duffy is better than any therapy!

    ReplyDelete