what's a little rain?

I have been really consumed in a blog that one of my sweet friends introduced me to. it's the story of Audrey Caroline, you can find it at this site. it's an amazing story about passion, love, and loss of a child, companion, best friend, 9 month long confidante. its the story of unfairness, of anger, of tears. of reality. i cannot get enough of it. not to mention that she has 'bring the rain' as one of the songs that plays in the background. 

now typically, i scoff at the bloggers who write down lyrics to songs. i don't know, i think it's like below me to have to read something that isn't even their own words. i think people should own their own thoughts, and not 'borrow' them from others. but you know what, i can't help it. i have to write some of the lyrics down. 
 

"Bring The Rain"

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain?

my friends and i recently started to have weekly times to just come together and talk about life. about what's going on, about what's bothering us, about what we struggle with. and it's been... hard. i'm not going to lie. talking about the sometimes harshness of reality, it ain't a pretty thing sometimes. but the presence of God during these times is unbelievable. 

my mom and i had a long conversation about service in the church the other day. i was blowing off a little steam about how i was really hurt and upset that more people didn't want to volunteer in the youth group. so many people are focused on going to church for their 'me - time'. and although, of course that isn't a bad thing. growing and focusing on your walk with Christ is great. But i just wonder where do they give back? how can they not crave to teach those who are sometimes so confused, especially at the most difficult time of their lives. when i was a young youthling, i lived and breathed for the words and inspirations of my mentors in the youth group volunteers. they were the people who taught, or at least attempted to over our talking, me to never give up on the Word of God. 

Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it! - 1 corinthians 9:19-23

when i read this, i just want to cry out to the congregation of my church. we are in such need of good examples to lead the youth. we are in desperate need for people to be up there, and showing the youth that they matter, that they have an opinion. the bible isn't too difficult for them. 

when the youth got to have a question and answer time with our prospective new youth pastor, i was really excited when he had an opportunity to teach the youth something that they might not be familiar with. the nitty gritty subject of predestination. now i'm not one to honestly search for an answer, but a student asked him what his belief was about those theories. and i was thoroughly let down in his answer. it was so vanilla. so perfectly not an answer that it sufficed everyone. i wanted him to get into it, i wanted him to crack open a Bible and have students read some scripture. a couple of kids asked what predestination is. my heart ached when i heard them not be familiar with something that i think they are perfectly capable of understanding. and as we all know, the failure to be unfamiliar with our Bible is one thing that really hinders our ability to save the lost. after the session was over, i spoke with the minister. i wanted his real answer, and he gave it to me. and i was thankful for it, but i couldn't help but wonder why he couldn't have said that to the youth. i think teaching them in this 'babyish' way is the reason that they talk during worship or during bible study, and why they are completely silent during discussions. most questions asked can be answered with the answer of 'Jesus' or 'reading your Bible and praying'. but there's so much more... so much depth, so much love, so much of everything that they are missing out on.

1 comment:

  1. dear kelly,
    I found your blog through mark's and I am really glad because i loooved to read your livejournal and I was very sad when you deleted it. I hope all is well, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete